Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Word Planted

Okay, I was not going to write this particular blog.  Well, I was, and then I wasn't, but now I am.  I just can't stand it anymore!

 I MEMORIZED THE ENTIRE BOOK OF JAMES!!!!!!!!!!

Whew!  There.  I said it.  I have been dying to share this with everyone I know since the day I committed the last verse to memory, but the fear of sounding as if I am boasting has kept me from doing so.  But I just cannot stand it anymore.  I had to share.  You need to know about this!  Everyone needs to know about this.  Why don't we know about this?  Or maybe we do and we are just not doing it.  Or maybe every one is doing it and I just don't know.   But if we really knew we would ALL BE DOING THIS!

Seriously, I could weep I so desperately want every person breathing to know this as it has become true to me over the course of the last year.  Oh yeah, did I mention it took me the better part of an entire year? Last fall, the ladies at my church began "Mercy Triumphs",  Beth Moore's newest study on James.  At the beginning of the study, she suggests several different levels of participation to choose from.  These culminated with a final challenge:  Memorize the. Entire. Book. Of. James. Ummm???  I am pretty sure most of us were thinking the same thing, myself included.  "Ain't nobody got time for that!"  Preachers and women who write Bible studies for a living, but not the rest of us with jobs and lives and seven kids for the love!

But then, right there on the screen in front of us she recited the entire book from memory.  As I sat there and listened to the words pour out of her mouth, something stirred in my heart and belly.  There was something so right about listening to the whole thing in one sitting.  It took on such fresh life and meaning for me I wanted to jump out of the pew and cheer when she was done.  Instead, I glanced around to make sure no one was looking as I stealthily put a check mark in the box that committed me to memorizing the book along with completing the study. I mean, it wasn't like I was really going to memorize the entire book of James, although it was a nice thought.  But it was cool to listen to her recite it, and hey, if it only motivated me to memorize a chapter or even a few verses, that was a good thing, right?

So I just started.  And here is the thing about James, in that very first chapter, he hammers us with the truth that the Word must be planted in us, saving us, otherwise we are at risk of becoming people who merely listen to the Word and so deceive ourselves.  Like people who look at their face in the mirror, and after looking themselves immediately go away and forget what they look like.  As I began to sow those words in my heart, I started to think about how much of my Christian walk I had spent in utter frustration.  Feeling like I would worship with my church on Sunday and come away filled up with the Word and walking in fresh conviction to live this thing out.  However, by Tuesday or Wednesday, that fire was already fading fast, and often by Saturday, I felt as dry as a desert again. Living by the flesh and not by the Spirit.  Not always, but often, my morning quiet time with the Lord was flat and lifeless.  I would remind myself that this was just how it worked.  That in the times I couldn't feel it, I was called to simply be faithful and push through.  While I think there is truth in that, far more often than I cared to admit, I sat down for that time out of  a sense of obligation rather than genuine desire and anticipation for an intimate encounter with Christ..

As I memorized however, that began to change.  There is something different about memorizing a large chunk of Scripture that I had never experienced.  As I repeated the words over and over and over . . .and over and over. . .and over. . . they became a part of me in an intensely profound way.  I found myself thinking about them and turning them over in my mind.  Sometimes I would stop in the middle of my daily activity to work on the next portion.  My appetite for the Word grew with every verse that I committed to memory.  My daily recitation as I practiced the verses began to morph into a powerful time of prayer, my heart pouring God's Word back out to Him.  I had tried praying the Word before and had always loved the practice, but it had never felt so natural and intimate.  Scripture took on life in such a way that I can hardly describe it!   As close as breath - convicting, encouraging, comforting, and filling me with such JOY!

Here is the thing. . . we already know this, right!?

     ". . .humbly accept the word planted in you which can save you."  James 1:21

     "Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom. . . "       Colossians 3:16

    "Pay attention to what I say.  Listen closely to my words.  Do not let them out of your sight.  Keep them       in your heart because they are life to those who find them."  Proverbs 4:20

     "I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you"  Psalm 119:11

     "Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds" Deuteronomy 11:18

     "Bind them upon your heart forever, fasten them around your neck.  When you walk they will
     guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you."
     Proverbs 6:22

And there are so many more.  The Word of God is meant to inhabit us.  It was entrusted to a people who did not have access to printing presses and the internet.  Who did not have bookshelves filled with NKJ and NIV and NASB and ESV.  If they wanted to meditate on God's word day and night, their only option was to engrave it on their hearts.  I think we instinctively know this truth but somewhere along the way we have lost the understanding that this is not a simple, spiritual discipline to teach our kids.  This is not about words on a page. Our very access to intimacy with the Word Himself hangs in the balance.  Our ability to resist the Enemy and stand firm.  These Words are our offense and our defense.  Sword and shield.  Living Bread and Water and Life itself!  But we are not consuming it, eating the sweeter than honey words so that they are filling up our bellies and hearts and minds.  We are like starving people sitting at a table laden with plates full of the richest food, desperately hoping it will nourish us, yet so frustrated when we remain weak and hungry - unwilling, or maybe unaware that we have to pick up the fork and eat.

Listen, I know what you're thinking.  But I am telling you, if I,with the attention span and self-discipline of a gnat, can do this ANYONE can do this.  You have to do this.   Pick your favorite translation, pick a verse, a chapter, a book,  and just start.  Several times over the course of the year, especially when the actual Bible study had ended, life would get busy and my motivation would wane, but a dear friend who was also memorizing the book would spur me on (and may or may not have tweaked my very slightly competitive nature).  Find someone to memorize with you, who will push you.  But just do it.  I PROMISE you that it will change your life.   I promise, however busy you are, that you will never regret one second of the time you spend sowing the Word in your heart.

"Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the water; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat!  Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.  Why spend money on what is not bread and your labor on what does not satisfy?  Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare"    Isaiah 55:1,2

Every one of us is invited to the feast.  Eat and be filled!


P.S  -  Philippians is next.  I would love for you to comment if you want to join me.  We can spur each other on!








2 comments:

  1. I totally love this! I have been wanting to start memorizing scripture, but of course, have not done it yet. This is a great challenge, Chris. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete